Thursday, December 17, 2009

(41) Roses

"I will take the white roses, please, Ms. Primrose" the Forsaken woman requested, a somber , yet gentle smile curving her pale lips. The flowerer blinked at the undead woman's gentle tone, and smiled in return, pleasantly surprised by the Forsaken's polite mannerism.

"Ah, of course. And I have them freshly cut too. How lucky for you!" Aerith Primrose laughs, and turned about for a moment to search for the request. It had become a yearly anniversary, late into the autumn, Annaliese made a visit to the graves of the one's she had lost, the children that she never had a chance to watch grow. White roses were always appropriate--her children always had played within the garden behind their manor, those years ago.

A young woman stepped up to the flower cart, impatiently staring down Ms. Primrose's back. The young mage cleared her throat rather brashly to get the attendant's attention. Annaliese stared down the rude human in retrospect, her yellow eyes glowing softly.

"What?!" Charlette barked out suddenly, taking a few steps back from the Forsaken, as if suddenly realizing she was there. Anna merely let out a breath, and shook her head in dismay at the young mage, which only seemed to steep Charlette's irritation, and her nervousness.

"You! Erm…vendor! I need service! Hello?" Charlette demanded, rapping on the window of the wooden cart. Aerith at last turned about, regarding the girl with a friendly smile.

"How may I help you miss?"

Annaliese only looked on at the girl. It was strange. There was certainly something about her that reminded her of…

"I want a dozen white roses. Fresh!" the mage explained in a haughty tone, glaring at the merchant, ignored too long for her standing. Annaliese stepped closer to the window then, patient. The bouquet of white roses was held in Aerith's hands, and indeed they were fresh, the stems long, slanted at the clean cut. The flowerer peered at Annaliese, before her eyes moved back to the demanding mage.

"I…I'm quite sorry, the order has been placed by another…" Aerith explained in Common. Anna had not heard nor spoken the language in some time, but she could pick up hints of words still. She smiled softly at the vendor, and nodded, extending her hands for the bundle of roses. Charlette…was not about to give up, stubborn as a mage of the Kirin Tor should be.

"I will pay you…double! I -need- those roses! I know, I know…-everyone- needs these roses for the day, but yes…give them to me already. And enchant them will you? I don't need them dying on me too soon."

"I ordered the roses first…" Anna said gently, but with a determination in her unearthly eyes, understanding that the mage was arguing for them, by the way she had been pointing.

Ms. Primrose looked between both women blankly, the Orcish and Common tongues beginning to give the poor woman a headache. She sighed, and at last put her hands up, having put up with the last of this holiday. A hand was held up before the arguing women.

"A half dozen. Six for you, six for you…" she explained in Common, pointing at the Forsaken and then the human, in turn. "Otherwise, you will have to wait for a full dozen…"

"Fine…-finnne-, just give them to me already," Charlette said, rolling her amber eyes. She shot the Forsaken woman a disparaging glance as the six roses were given, and mumbled her disgraces away beneath her breath as she stormed away.
Annaliese smiled softly, and accepted her bundle of roses gratefully, ignoring the mumbled insults, which she only caught some of. She sighed, and picked at the ivory petals as the Flowerer looked on apologetically.

"I am sorry for the trouble. You were so patient. I shouldn't have given the brat a thing."

Anna peered up at Ms. Primrose with a pair of eyes that were still too attached to humanity.

"Don't apologize dear. Everyone has a right to honor their loved ones."

No comments:

Post a Comment